Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review of Phoenix Shadow

How does one describe a Maggie Henning & the Realm novel by Lisa C. Morgan? Very carefully… no spoilers here people! Haha… yeah right, I’m not a reviewer; I’m a book lover who gushes openly about books she loves. Lol.  ;-) 
I happen to have just finished the third installment of this unique and amazing series. Phoenix Shadow* was released on March 28th and yes I read it quite quickly because I was so engrossed in the story Morgan was telling me. Like any book-a-holic I’ve read the previous books Phoenix Rising* and Phoenix Burning* so I knew what I was getting into by reading Morgan’s work… Or so I naively thought. O_o
Morgan starts us off where Phoenix Burning ends with the return of Michel from Shadow. Let’s be honest we all thought he was going to be the one for Maggie, but Morgan used that to her advantage. While we were all falling in love with Michel in sauntered Luc… And well I swooned just as hard and fast as the others. His quick wit and biting tone (yes pun was intended) left us all breathless. So when Maggie fell for him instead and we started seeing more of just how wounded and deep Luc was… well we fell even harder right along with Maggie.
But here is the kicker… We never expected the turn of events that happened to our poor fallen hero Michel. And as Luc and Maggie got closer Michel got meaner. This was a WTF moment? But I did NOT expect the magic trick Morgan had for us in Phoenix Shadow. She worked like a magician telling us one story having us looking and thinking one way and then… BOOM!!! She drops the bomb and the turn leaves us screaming Oh HELL NO!!!
My only complaint, other than that book 4 is 3 months away, is that Luc got way mushy in the middle of the book, but hey he had just discovered his humanity, so I will let it pass. I’m honestly looking forward to seeing how Morgan writes herself out of this bind she’s left us screaming about. And hopefully Luc will regain some of his edginess in Phoenix Ashes* due out July 25th. 
All in all I LOVED this book like I have the others. Morgan scared the hell out of me, had me crying and as always laughing my ass off! I recommend this book to anyone who loves magick, myth and mystery. Love goes wrong, lives are lost and true love is found and prevails only to be left devastated. But all in all it is written in such a way that makes you crave the next book so you can see how she fixes it all.  A must read for any book-a-holic.
Love & Blessings,
Simone Frances Reed ~ Author of Poetry In Motion

*All titles by Lisa C. Morgan can be found on amazon.com
Phoenix Rising
Phoenix Burning

Emerging Fates (A Novella)

Phoenix Shadow

No comments:

Post a Comment